Home water testing is important for existing homeowners as well as those considering purchasing a home. We use it daily to wash and cook with and the water we drink nourishes and sustains us. Spotlight Inspection Services works with a recognized laboratory to offer Water Quality Testing because everyone deserves safe, clean water.
Why should I have my water tested?
If you are already a homeowner, it’s important to know the water you are drinking is safe for your family. If you are buying or selling a house it could be an important to part of the inspection process to test the water. Specifically, a mortgage associated with the purchase may have requirements to show acceptable drinking water.
Most common types of tests and what they test for:
- Basic Water Test – Total Coliform, E. coli, Heterotrophic Plate Count, Nitrate and Nitrite.
- Standard Water Test – Total Coliform, E. coli, Heterotrophic Plate Count, Nitrate, Nitrite, Arsenic, Lead, Sodium and Hardness.
- Comprehensive Water Test – Total Coliform, E. coli, Heterotrophic Plate Count, Chloride, Nitrate, Nitrite, Fluoride, Sulfate, Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Cadmium, Calcium, Copper, Chromium, Iron, Lead, Magnesium, Manganese, Mercury, Nickel, Potassium, Selenium, Silver, Sodium, Thallium, Zinc, Alkalinity, Conductivity, Hardness, pH, Total Dissolved Solids and Turbidity.
- City Water Test – Total Coliform, E. coli, Fluoride, Copper, Lead.
- EPA Well Water Test – Total Coliform, Nitrate, pH, Total Dissolved Solids.
- FHA/VA Loan Well Water Test – Total Coliform, E. coli, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Lead.
Which water test do I need?
Ultimately this depends on your specific situation and why you need to test the water. If you are on a public water system you may want a City Water Test. Whereas, if you have a private well the EPA recommends testing for total coliform bacteria and nitrates every year. It is common to test for arsenic because of high levels in Southeast Michigan.
What do I do if I find something that shouldn’t be in my water?
You may be able to resolve the situation on your own with a trip to the local hardware store or need the assistance of a professional water specialist if you need something more comprehensive installed.
To schedule your water quality test click or call 734-890-1343.Schedule Your Home Inspection & Water Quality Test
Disclosure: Spotlight Inspection Services, LLC does not sell water filters, water softeners, etc because we believe this would be a conflict of interest. There are established ways to eliminate different types of contaminants from your water.